dissabte, 1 de març del 2008

Monserrate itself

About the reason to the name of this blog


Our Lady of Montserrat at Monserrate (Bogotá, Colombia) Picture from COLOMBIE : Bogota, Monserrate, Raquira, Villa de Leyva

Since the very days I started to flirt with my current wife I also started to hear about the "Fallen Crist of Monserrate". From this very first times I was sure that this certainly was no coincidence, its name couldn't be so similar to "Montserrat" with no reason.

But I couldn't check it until my first time to Colombia when, once acclimatized to the place and the height (I must admit that I'm used to live close to the sea) I got my family to Monserrate's peak and its sanctuary.

Once sitting at the center of the church, I looked to the left and there it was, into its own chapel. It as her, the "Moreneta" herself, spiritual icon of catalanity. I couldn't help but cry and sing the "Virolai" driven by my own devotion, nostalgia and patriotism.

The chapel's gate had a panel with the complete history about why and how there was such an exotic virign (exotic at least for colombian people): the year 1652 a copy of the "Morenta" is settled there in an hermitage, the mountain is known as "Cerro de Monserrate" since then.

Later, on year 1711, this "Moreneta" disappears and the "Fallen Crist" is settled there. And finally, on 1997, the monks of Montserrat (Barcelona, Catalonia, Spain) send to Colombia this new copy of the "Moreneta".

So, no coincidence at all: its just a mon(t)serratism big as a... cathedral.


Mostra un mapa més gran

Links:
Cerro de Monserrate
Montserrat Abbey